I moved into a house with an eighth of an acre 18 years ago and planted...

I moved into a house with an eighth of an acre 18 years ago and planted flowers and small bushes to attract birds and bees. Within a couple of years, there were lots of both in my yard. Over the last two years, I have seen the bee population go to almost nothing last year and this year, I have only seen one! I know about the declining population of bees in the world, but didn't realize it had hit Maryland so hard. Is there anything that I can do? Thanks for your help! Gaye Sauer Clarendon Ave Pikesville, MD 21208

Baltimore County Maryland insect issues bees beneficial insects pollinators gone

Colony collapse disorder has hit Maryland hard for years and this year was even worse. However, their are hundreds of native insects (honeybees are not native) that pollinate our plants. So we all need to help out the native pollinators by not spraying insecticides, planting lots of pollen and nectar producing plants, and planting a diverse landscape that supports a natural spectrum of species in all their life stages.

Here is some information on our website you might find helpful and interesting: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/insects/pollinators-and-natural-enemies