Red spots on strawberry leaves

Could this be a fungus infection and if so is there anything I can do about it? So far no plants have died, but it is spreading. Thanks so much. Janet

Howard County Maryland

Your strawberry foliage was subject to a fungal leaf spot. If the whole bed is affected renovate your strawberry bed after harvest. If you just have several leaves, remove them.
Everbearing strawberries - you can renovate or replant next year.
See our website on strawberries http://extension.umd.edu/growit/fruit-profiles/strawberries

Thanks very much. The same plants were fine last year. This year they quickly became infected. Some plants are 100% infected so I guess it is best to remove them. They are in a raised bed. Do you think I should remove some of the soil, and if so how much? Are there any varieties of strawberries you could recommend that are resistant to fungal infection?

There are no varieties resistant to fungal leaf spots that we are aware of. You do not have to change the soil. There is a lot of vigor in new, young plants.If the bed is less than 4 years old, this would be the perfect time to renovate.

ro