I discovered 2 years ago that I had a front yard that had been overtaken by...

I discovered 2 years ago that I had a front yard that had been overtaken by quack grass. I was advised to kill out my yard with Round-up in the fall and re-seed in the spring....this did not work as it came back w/a vengeance this spring. Contrary to the first time, I chose to kill it out again this spring when it was "actively growing". From past experience, I am afraid to plant seed as I fear the quack grass is going to come back. I am prepared to go the entire summer season w/o grass just so I can watch for new quack grass growth. As I take pride in my homes appearance, I am wanting to make the yard somewhat tolerable to look at.. In other words, I would rather look at soil than brown dead grass. May I till the soil at a surface level and start to prepare the yard for seeding at a later time? When is the best time to seed? I don't know if I am going about this in the right way but I am desperate to gain control of what appears to to be a "yard cancer". PLEASE advise...I am desperate for reliable information! Thank you so very much, Kay

Hennepin County Minnesota

The University of Minnesota recommends that if most of the lawn has been affected by quackgrass, spray the entire lawn with glyphosate (Erase, Roundup, Sidekick or other commercial products) according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spray when the lawn is growing actively, preferably in the spring. The application will kill the lawngrass as well as the quackgrass. In about two weeks, when all the grass is dead, rototill thoroughly and remove as much dead sod as possible. Then prepare the soil for seeding or sodding. You can compost the dead sod. If you place quack grass in a compost, you would need it to make sure that it will reach high temperatures (145 degrees F.) to kill the weed seeds. If only a small area of the lawn is affected, it may be worth trying to dig out the quackgrass; but ALL the rhizomes must be removed because rhizomes as small as 1/2 in. can produce new growth if left in the soil. http://www1.umn.edu/webdd/prepcare/quackgr.html