I have had a Red Bud tree for a few years and so much enjoyed seeing it...

I have had a Red Bud tree for a few years and so much enjoyed seeing it increase in flowers every year. However, since the extreme cold (polar) that hit in 2014 it has not bloomed in the two springs after that event. Is there something that I can do to build it up to bloom again or is it doomed forever?

Washington County Minnesota redbud trees

Your tree may well have suffered damage from our polar winter. Even though we are seeing more redbuds in Minnesota, many of these trees are marginally hardy here. Most are zone 5 plants and a severe winter can damage or kill them. Iff this tree is leafing out, I would give it another year or so before giving up on seeing any blooms.

In the meantime you can/should put a 6 inch layer of organic mulch around it - extending to the drip line. Do not mound the mulch up around the trunk - leave about 6 inches or so.

If you do decide to get rid of it and plant a new Redbud, make sure that the plant you buy has been field grown by someone in our zone (4-3).

I hope this is helpful. Please contact AaE again if you have further questions.