Also, an area between our cars and patio....about 10 ft by 6 ft prefer a flowering bush.

Hi I have a very small patio and my neighbors fence and house is right up against my patio....... He has a 4 foot black wooden fence right next to my patio. I need to plant something high and wide. Thinking about 10 feet high and about 10 feet wide......what would you recommend?

Suffolk County Massachusetts trees and shrubs horticulture

Hi,

Before just suggesting a plant of a certain height and width, there are also considerations of sun/shade, irrigation or not, deciduous or evergreen, berries for wildlife, require regular pruning or not, etc. You might start out looking at the UConn Plant database (go to University of Connecticut and under search type in Plant Database). There are hundreds of plants listed. You can look at them and see their ultimate size, cultural requirements, pest problems, seasonal interest etc. You should pick out some that sound interesting to you and and then go to your local garden center and see what they look like up close and personal and find out more about their growth habits and care. For shade, you can find rhododendrons that grow 1o feet high: for sun, mock oranges, lilacs, viburnums, witch hazels and small crabapple trees.

You are also welcome to call the Horticulturists at the UConn Home & Garden Education Center with more specifics on your growing conditions and some of the features you are looking for in a hedge plant and they can narrow down your choices and make some suggestions. (860) 486-6271.

Hope this helps.