My zucchini and pepper plants are the same size as when I planted them in...

My zucchini and pepper plants are the same size as when I planted them in early May. The lower leaves have now yellowed and the plants look weak. They were planted in my new raised bed garden where I had placed new soil and some compost. Do I need to add anything else to the soil so they will grow stronger?

Baltimore County Maryland fertilizer vegetables pepper plants zucchini peppers yellowing leaves

Yellowing leaves can indicate a nitrogen deficiency. (Stunted growth does, too.) We recommend using a soluble all purpose fertilizer when you first plant to give the transplants a bit of instantly available nitrogen. You could apply some now and also scratch a little balanced fertilizer with nitrogen into the soil around the plants.

A soil test is in order to find out just what nutrients you've got in your beds. Soil test info is on the right side of our home page.

You also might want to read over the profiles on peppers and tomatoes in the Grow It Eat It section.