Watering fruit trees & blueberries

What's the best way to water our tiny orchard? We have 6 fruit trees newly planted 14ft apart in an area about 40ft x 60ft. There are 2 peach trees, 3 apples trees (golden, honey crisp & pink lady) & 1 italian plum (prune). They are each about 5ft tall. Plus along the border we have 3 red current and 4 blueberry bushes, each about 2ft tall. What is the best means of watering? drip emitters? sprinklers? How much water per day, 1 gal/tree? Or best to water every 3 days? Berry bushes 1gal/day? or best to water every 3 days?

Multnomah County Oregon irrigation and water management fruit trees orchard horticulture

The general guideline for watering is to apply at least 1" of water per week, which translates to about 66 gallons per square feet per week. A drip system will allow you to target the water to the root system of the plants most effectively. For each plant, you might install 4 or more emitters, which will emit either 0.5 or 1 gallon per hour. For newly established plants, I would provide at least 3-5 gallons per plant per week. Soils are drying out very quickly. I would make sure to water soon even if that is by hand or 5-gallon bucket.

For a great tutorial on drip system design, see http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/drip-irrigation-design-guidelines-basics-of-measurements-parts-an...

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Weston