Some of the tips of my Black Hills spruce have turned reddish/brown. These...

Some of the tips of my Black Hills spruce have turned reddish/brown. These trees are about 12' and have been planted here for 6 years.

Campbell County Wyoming trees and shrubs horticulture

My understanding is that the browning of tree tips during years like this is likely a result of "winter desiccation". This occurs when the amount of water lost by the foliage exceeds the amount picked up by the roots, causing injury to the tree. Even though spring moisture has been adequate, spruce trees can be sensitive to low snowpack and inadequate winter moisture. As long as the injury is not too severe, your trees should be okay. Trimming could be an option but is not absolutely necessary.

It could also potentially be a fungus as a result of recent moisture but it is hard to say. For more information, please feel free to stop by or contact the Campbell County Extension office and ask to speak with Hannah Johnson who is our county Horticulturalist @ (307) 682-7281. A more accurate diagnosis would require her to actually see the trees. Thank you for the question. Hope this helps