Cottage law or not?

Asked June 8, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT

I have been approached to make caramel corn for a local business. I would make the caramel corn, he would package it and sell it under his business name. I am not sure what certifications I would need and if the cottage law would apply to me. Also, what other things do I need to know before I think about doing this?

Genesee County Michigan food processing starting a new food business

1 Response


The Michigan Cottage food law would not apply to this situation. Under the Michigan Cottage food law, the person making the caramel corn must be the same person selling the product directly to the consumer. I would recommend contacting a product counselor at the Michigan State University Product Center. The website for the product center is: