Brown tips on green giant arborvitae

Last fall I planted a row of green giant arborvitae. This spring I noticed that all the new growth at tips of branches turns brown, dries up and breaks off. There is plenty of green in the tree, but there is no growth because of this problem. The trees are well taken care of, including proper watering. Is this a disease or just a physical condition that may go away? Is there anything that I can do?

Maryland

There may be several reasons for the browning such as winter damage, lack of establishment, drought, etc. We would like to see photos of the whole tree, around the base, and affected foliage so that we can see what you may be dealing with.

Thank you for your reply to my question. I will try to get some pictures to you soon.

Here are pictures you requested concerning my green giant arborvitae.

Hope the pictures come through as expected.

Thank you.

The browned tips may have some winter damage, but also seiridium canker (a fungus). The dead tips infected by the fungal canker will fall off. You do not need to spray because the infection is very weather related and may never happen again unless the conditions are just right. Unless your tree gets very stressed and the disease has a greater impact, t's mainly a non-problematic disease and just cosmetic.

Thank you so much for the information. I am relieved that the problem is just cosmetic. I appreciate the service the extension provides.

John Stewart