On pesticide licensing in Oregon

I have a start up commercial landscape business and would like to know if there are any organic pesticides that can be used on certain jobs or areas that don't require a license. We would like to stay organic whenever possible. If not I need to purchase your study manual for Oregon's pesticide licensing exam. Our first bid requires that we take the laws rules and regulations exam and at least one other applicator exam or exams we may need.

Lane County Oregon pesticide safety pesticide certification

You will want to contact the Oregon Department of Agriculture's Pesticide Program for specifics on the regulations surrounding pesticide applicator licensing. Commercial applicators have very specific guidelines for licensing requirements for any pesticide application (organic or conventional). The ODA can also direct you as the appropriate category exam(s) needed for applicators employed by your business and how to sign up the exams.

The Pesticide Safety Education Manual is available at the OSU Extension Lane County office (open hours M-Th 10-1 and 2-5) or by mail. Unfortunately, this guide is a little out-of-date on some of the applicator license categories as it is only printed every few years. ODA has issued a licensing guide with the most current information-make sure to read before taking your exam(s).

Once you are licensed, your applicators will need to take continuing education hours for recertification (or retake the exam when their license expires). Check with OSU Extension Lane County for annual classes that are offered in the Eugene area to meet these requirements.

This can be a very confusing process, please let me know if I can be of additional assistance. I'm also happy to speak with you about the exams and how to prepare for them. Thanks for using Ask An Expert!