How do I get my homegrown impatiens to bloom?

I grew my semi/doubly impatiens from seed starting indoors in early March. I transplanted the outside on May 20th in pots in part sun areas. I've never seen any buds on my plants. See attached file. How can I get them to bloom?

Hennepin County Minnesota

Most impatiens begin blooming in early summer. The ones we see in the garden centers may have been grown in warmer areas of the country, and they are often treated with a chemical that speeds blooming.

One thing that may delay, or discourage blooming is over-use of fertilizer. Most fertilizers spur growth of leaves, and plant size, but flowering is suppressed. If you have been fertilizing these plants consider cutting back on the amount, and or number of applications, and see if that helps.

I hope this is helpful. Please contact AaE if you have further questions.

I'm responding to your June 5th response. It's now June 13th and I have not fertilizer my plant until last week. I used Miracle Grow Flower Fertilizer that mixes with water. I'm still not seeing flower buds on my semi/double impatiens that I grew from seed. Any other recommendations?

If the plants appear healthy, and have lots of foliage I still suspect that they are getting too much nitrogen. Miracle grow is a good all purpose fertilizer - with lots of nitrogen. If you could increase the phosphorus a little, without other nutrients you might get them to flower sooner, but I don't know of any thing you could buy that is just P.

I would stop fertilization and let them continue growing. There is nothing different about double impatiens that requires different treatment.