Name of Orchid and can they be divided/transferred winter time into a garden or put back in pots.

hi I'm unable to locate name of my orchids and the care for them. I have lots of roots on the bottom and leading up to the leaves are green going yellow banana shaped growth coming through and then the hardy stems/petals. I think I've made a huge mistake dividing and transferring them into a garden bed?? Because of Winter time here in New Zealnd they are not covered over deep and I have surrounded the plants with small bark keeping bark away from orchid plants. Today in the afternoon I put covers over each of them to protect from cold using thermal polystyrene and plastic containers with a few holes in the top for breathing etc. Hope someone can offer advice Regards New Gardner first time Growing Orchids.. The plant was given as a Gift and I'm trying to take Special Care. I
Feel as though I've mistreated my Gift..

Outside United States

Most orchids in commercial trade are tropical orchids. These orchids are grown in greenhouses that keep the temperature above about 50F to 60F depending on the type of orchid. So if this was a gift, you can assume this is a tropical orchid that will require protection from freezing weather. That said there are many orchids that grow naturally in New Zealand. You could take the orchid or a picture of the orchid to a garden center and ask for identification or email me a picture.

Most tropical orchids grow on tree limbs or trunks. These orchids are grown in pots with orchid potting material and treated as a house plant grown on a window sill or under lights if a greenhouse is not available. During the warm summer months the orchid can be grown outdoor in appropriate light but kept in the pot.

My best advice would be to pot the orchids in orchid potting material most garden centers carry. Grow the orchids like a house plant indoors for the winter at a bright window or under grow lights.

If any of the foliage or roots have been damaged, cut these off with sharp pruning shears and then pot by placing the roots in the pot and them pulling the orchid potting material around the roots. Put the potting material down into the roots, not hard, but enough to stabilize the plants in the pots.

Australian growers and hybridizers are listed at http://www.orchidsaustralia.com/ . These growers are not necessarily growing native orchids but tropical orchids for the potted plant trade

This web site has a list of growers and hybridizers you can contact for suggestions.