Hello, we purchase pizza sauce from Sams for our business. They recently...

Hello, we purchase pizza sauce from Sams for our business. They recently switched from # 10 cans to sealed plastic packages, which are to be refrigerated after opened. Agreed. However, when we purchase them they come 10 bags to a carton, and the carton is room temperature. But wehn we open the carton, it is obvious the carton has been stored in refrigeration. So my question: Is it safe to store the carton, unrefrigerated, until we need the bags of sauce? My gut tell me no, but Sams tells me it's OK. Thank you.

Seminole County Florida

Hi:

Does the packaging say anything about keeping the product refrigerated? I would follow the label instructions if they are provided. Are there any indications of temperature abuse? Do the bags/containers look okay? Usually pizza sauce is shelf stable when kept in the unopened container but once opened it needs refrigeration.

Hope this helps. Thank you for using eXtension.