Stink Bugs

I am located at Windsor Mill Road & Old Court Rd. in Windsor Mill ( western Baltimore County). While not on a farm, I am not very far from some farm community (Granite, Woodstock, etc.). Corn is grown at the intersection of Old Court Rd. and Windsor Mill. For years now, I have struggled with the stink bug problem inside and outside my home. They have prevented me from being able to use my deck, patio and yard (on the outside). As the weather begins to turn colder in the fall, they begin to migrate into my home. It has been a nightmare for several years. However, I noticed during the fall of 2014 that not as many seemed to be invading my home, and now that the warmer weather has arrived, have been anticipated their being on the move. I think they have primarily taken up shelter in the attic during the winter with some daring to make appearances via fireplaces and vents. However, this season, I have encountered far fewer numbers seeking escape from the house. Also, I have not observed the usual sightings of them clinging to the over-hang of my home or on the sliding glass doors. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but I'm hoping this might be an indication the population has decreased or moved on to some other geographic location. It was my understanding there were efforts to find eco friendly solutions to control the population of stink bugs, particularly for saving vegetable/fruit crops. I'm interested in the following: (1) has the population decreased significantly and will the decrease be sustained; (2) has a remedy to control stink bugs been found and in use and/or proven to be effective; (3) any suggestions for how I might control or kill these pests i know about caulking and sealing openings, but frankly, it is impossible to seal your entire home; (4) any new info on these creatures and how to address them? Thank you for any help you can provide. It would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I was disappointed to find your telephone service discontinued... quite a loss.

Baltimore County Maryland invasive brown marmorated stinkbugs

Your are battling the Brown Marmorated Stinkbug. This in an Invasive insect from Asia that just arrived in the U.S. a few years ago and has already wreaked havoc in homes and farms. They are already a big agricultural pest.

No, the stinkbug will never leave. The populations were down last year and, we hope, this may continue. It may be because the native predator insects that eat/kill them have increased in numbers. We can't say for sure. It may be somewhat weather related.

At any rate, we have much help for you and answers to your questions on our website: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/invasives/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

We hope you will not let them keep you from enjoying the outdoors. They do not bite or carry disease--they are simply a nuisance in that regard.