I planted 4 Summer Cascade Wisteria along a very long black iron 6' fence....

I planted 4 Summer Cascade Wisteria along a very long black iron 6' fence. They are doing well in 1st season. Would it help to train them up any faster to 5' or so) if I pinch off the flower buds that are appearing a foot or so above ground now? Or should I just let them be? Thanks. - Don

Washington County Minnesota wisteria

Thank you for the question. Since your plants are new and our growing season is yet so young, I wouldn't recommend pinching out the buds at this time. Instead, focus on establishing the main framework of your new wisteria vines. Train the main leader to the upper part of your trellis and cut it off when it reaches the desired height. Train main side branches as needed so they are spaced about 18 inches apart. Siting is crucial for best growth. Wisteria needs full sun, meaning at least 6 hours of sunlight per day, and deep, moderately fertile, moist soil that isn't allowed to dry out excessively. Learn how to train and when to prune your new vines by reading this Ohio State Extension publication: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1246.html

Thank you for contacting Extension.