We have 2 lilac bushes and a rhododendron plant in an area in our back yard....

We have 2 lilac bushes and a rhododendron plant in an area in our back yard. There are lily of the valley that are taking over the area. Will the lily of the valley have any adverse affect on the bushes and rhododendron? Thank you

Hennepin County Minnesota

Lily of the Valley are very vigorous and have very dense root systems. They will gradually take water nutrients and interfere with the lilacs and rhododendron.

Thank you for the information. I thought maybe that would be the case. So what is the best way to get rid of the lily of the valley in this area and should I do it now or wait until next spring?

I would start removing it now. It will only spread all summer. Treating the Lily of the Valley with weed killer using a paint brush to apply it to the leaves will be the easiest. The roots are very tough and difficult to dig out.

Thanks for your advice!!! Very helpful information.

You are very welcome. Good luck removing a pretty but tough plant.