potting mix pH for container garden

After on-line searches and local nursery advice, I chose to use 80% peat moss, 20% perlite with dolomite lime and a tomato fertilizer. I wanted the lime for calcium. I also wanted media pH between 5.8 - 6.8. Using nearly equal volumes of the mixed media and distilled water, I measured pH = 4.3. With the same method, a commercial mix measured 5.9. I'd hoped to save money using materials I already had, but 4.3 is too acidic. I expect that the lime won't raise the pH quickly enough to feed the young plants.

So, 1: can I fix the home-made mix? and 2: if not, where in the garden can I use that mix?

Arapahoe County Colorado soil and fertility issues

Early on, the pH will be low. Blending the lime will temper it and raise it up. This happens more quickly than you realize. Give it a shot. You might also add some vermiculite if that will ease your anxiety.