family caregiver

Asked May 25, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT

I am a 35 year old single mother who up until 2 weeks ago had a fulltime CNA job and a parttime job just to make ends meet. My mother who became very ill just in the past 3 months needed me to be with her during the day when my father was at work and also in the evenings while he was at his part time job from 5:30 till 8pm. I had to quit me jobs for now and move back home because she is unable to walk without assistance nor drive herself to and from the many doctor's appointments she has. My question is I have heard that family members can become care givers and get compensation for that as if it were a real job? If so how would. we go about getting the process started

Texas family caregiving

1 Response

My answer is based on information from AARP:

Some states have programs that help people pay for the caregiver of their choice, and in certain circumstances that can be a family member. These programs — called, variously, "consumer-directed," "participant-directed," "cash and counseling" or other titles — differ enormously depending on where you live. Most have income and other eligibility requirements that the care recipient must meet, and strict rules often apply as to who can be paid for the caregiving. For information about what's available in your state, contact your local Medicaid or aging services department or go to the National Resource Center for Participant-Directed Services.

But be aware that there are waiting lists for these programs and that states have been cutting back on them because of budgetary pressures.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get this set up!