leaf mulch and radishes

Hello We have mulch pile, mostly composed of leaves. We typically need to dig deep to come up with really decomposed matter (looking like dirt) that we mix into our soil. I have been using the yet uncomposed leafs for as mulch. This stuff is damp, stuck together in clumps but still looks like leaves. My husband wants to make sure this is a good practice. I use it between the rows of vegetables. Second question, we planted our watermelons radish seeds with out lettuce some weeks ago. The lettuce is fabulous but the radishes have grown tall and flowered, but there are no radishes! Last year we had great radishes. Is too late to plant again -- and wh didn't we get radishes?

Montgomery County Maryland

Leaf mulch can be used for mulch in vegetable gardens.
You radishes bolted, ie. they formed flowers because it got so hot so fast this year. It went from quite cold to quite hot without a season that radishes prefer. You might want to wait until the end of July to plant a fall crop of radishes.
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG16%20Planting%20D... vw