giant hornet here in my garage

killed a giant hornet here in ohio in my garage not sure what kind maybe asian what to do with it

Trumbull County Ohio bees insect identification hornets

Please take this to your local county extension office. Dave Marrison will be able to assist you in identifying properly.

Trumbull County Office

520 W. Main St., Suite 1
Cortland, OH 44410
Phone:
330-638-6783

These pictures came through blurry on my end and it is hard to tell the striping. Also needed to see the other side (top) of the insect better, all I could see when enlarged were legs.

Most likely it is a European hornet and it’s large size makes it a constant target for mis-identification as the dreaded Asian Giant Hornet! Not just videos, but if you do a search for “Asian hornets,” a number of mislabeled images showing European hornets will show-up which explains why Ohio gardeners often think they’ve really discovered something!

On the other hand, European hornets (which is a “true hornet”) practice a unique feeding behavior not shared with baldfaced hornets (actually in a yellowjacket genus), yellowjackets, and wasps in Ohio: they will stripe bark from the twigs and branches of shrubs and small trees in order to feed on the sugar-rich phloem. They can sometimes be pretty destructive. They are not very aggressive – OSU Entomologist, Joe Boggs has actually taken close-up shots with a 50mm macro lens just a few inches from these big stingers and he's never gotten stung, or even buzzed.

Hope this helps and that it is not an Asian hornet but other type.