Help with my Bees

I have had problems every year in April with bees. These are the type of bees that make mounds in my garden and grass. They fly around in the mornings and afternoons but go back in the ground at night. I sprinkle Sevin all over the entire area where I see the mounds and this seems to help, except for this year. I'm having a very difficult time getting rid of them and they keep multiplying each year. Is there a better way to remove them and is there a way to prevent them from coming back year after year? I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you, Marilyn Lowery

Anne Arundel County Maryland beneficial insects mining bees

These are probably mining bees. They are not dangerous. You do not need to worry about stings. They do not sting people. They are beneficial pollinating insects which are crucially important since honey bees have been dying.
They do not live very long--a few weeks. We recommend that you try to tolerate them.

The best way to discourage them from living in your lawn is to make it less inviting- by thickening up the turf. Overseed or reseed your lawn. Early fall (even late August) is the best time.
Please read over our website info on mining bees: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/mining-bees-lawns