Peach tree gummosis

I believe our peach tree has gummosis.....I am not sure of the cause. My 1st guess is possible environmental stress by lack of water. The tree is about 5 years old (from when we planted it)...it has plentiful green leaves but a large canker with amber sap. There are other fruit trees in the yard including apples and pears both in the back yard - blueberry and cherry bushes in the front yard (other side of fence and house). No other pitted fruits. Last year there weren't any fruit. I cannot remember if it had blossoms or not. I have yet to see any blossoms this year but have lots of green leaves. I have uploaded a picture. Please advise if we adjust and add watering by drip irrigation or a sprinkler will help the tree to heal and if it may bloom and fruit in the future. Thanks!

Union County Ohio

Hi There,

Gummosis typically results from insect damage or mechanical injuries. Lesser peachtree borer can be a good possibility.

Here is a factsheet from OSU: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/pdf/2032.pdf

I do not think irrigation with a sprinkler or drip tape will help.

Sorry.