I took 8 chickens to be processed and picked them up within 24 hours. When I...

I took 8 chickens to be processed and picked them up within 24 hours. When I picked them up I noticed that they were not very cold...cool, but not cold. I took them in the house and put them in the sink to rinse them off(they were in plastic bags). As soon as I opened the bags I noticed a very foul almost sulfuric smell. It was so strong that it literally smelled my whole house up. I rinsed them off and the smell went away for the most part. I am wondering if this is normal? I have a freezer full of chickens that I'm afraid to feed my family. I called the woman who did the butchering, and she said that she has no idea why that would happen...I thought maybe well water, but she said that they use city water. I fed them the same food their whole lives. They were very clean and had access to the outside...lots of room. I am worried about possible salmonella???? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before or if they are safe to eat? Also, there are white spots on the skin that I attributed to maybe burns while they were being scalded, but I'm not really sure. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Lorain County Ohio food safety food processing

I believe you are the same person who emailed me directly and has also called the OSU Extension office in Medina County to talk with our Agriculture Educator. You should have received an email from me and from our Meat Science state specialist. If you need additional assistance please let me know.

Thanks,