Beetle like borer on my maple tree

Hello, I have a Sunset Maple planted in October of 2012. It has been successfully growing until this season. At the end of last summer I noticed brown spots in the leaves. And this year I have no leaves to date. There is also a white string like substance coming out of the tree. There are very tiny brown beetle like insects and very small lead pencil size holes, all at the base of the tree trunk. What is this? How can I prevent this pest from spreading? Is my tree dead? I had planted two Sunset Maples from the same grower and the other one is doing well.

Chester County Pennsylvania insect issues horticulture

There are several borers that attack maple trees. The best thing to do is to take a sample into your local Penn State Extension office for identification and treatment options. They will forward your sample to Penn State and you will receive a report within a few days.