I have a couple of Beech trees near my fire pit and a lot of the bark is...

I have a couple of Beech trees near my fire pit and a lot of the bark is coming off because of the heat I think. Is there a way to fix that? I've attached 2 pics. Thank you.

Seneca County Ohio

Thank you for contacting Ask a Master Gardener. i need some more information. How close is the beech tree to the fire pit? Are there other signs of problems? For example is the tree budding out? If so, do the buds/leaves look normal for a beech tree? Any holwa or insects in the bark area that is missing?

Thank you. The closest one to the fire pit is about 8' away. The most further one is about 19' away. Both trees have normal looking leaves on them now. There are ants in the area where the bark is missing. I don't know what you meant by holwa. I've included 3 pics. A pic of both trees and the fire pit. A close up of the tree with the missing bark with the ants. A close up of the most further tree's which isn't missing bark but has something growing on the bark.

Thank you for the additional pictures. We have almost this same situation on our family farm. We only burn wood in our fire pit. So I doubt the fire pit is affecting the beech trees. There is a possibility that if there are chemicals being burned in the fire pit, the trees could be affected. However, I am going to refer you to wiser minds. Please call the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry. The phone number is 419-424-5004. This is Findlay number. They should be able to help you.

Thank you for contacting Ask a Master Gardener. We hope this will help.

OK, thanks Betty. I've just sent an email to them telling them I would forward to them the pics and info I posted here. I thought my contact with you was by email. If I emailed them the link to this site of our correspondence, will they be able to view it? Thanks again. Best, Frank

I would call them, explain the situation, and then ask them how to submit the pictures to them.

Tnanks Betty, they were able to view this site and want more pics that show scale better. I appreciate your help. Best, Frank

I am delighted we could help you. Do not hesitate to contact us again.