Ground wasps in yard

We have a section of our yard that has what appear to be ground dwelling wasps. I'm attaching a few pictures to show what I mean. I tried to get pictures of the wasps but they didn't cooperate. There may be some in the close shots but I can't see them. They are black and see to be maybe 3/4 in. long. They don't seem to bother anyone but I just wonder if they can cause problems or are dangerous. Thanks for any help you can offer. Cliff

Prince George's County Maryland

From the photos it looks like mining bees. They are beneficial pollinators and control should be avoided if possible. They are solitary bees and do not sting. Their activity is usually brief about several weeks. They like exposed soil and good drainage. In flower beds, you may want to lay landscape fabric down and cover with several inches of mulch to discourage them. In lawn areas, seed in the fall to thicken up your stand of turf. See our website for more information http://extension.umd.edu/learn/mining-bees