Last year I dug up all the burdock in my garden, covered it with plastic and...

Last year I dug up all the burdock in my garden, covered it with plastic and killed the garden for a year. This year, the garden is once again over grown with burdock. I have my boys digging it up as I type. I can't go with out a garden (four teenagers--I can't go with out my garden) I don't mind using pesticides, but at the same time I'm not crazy about putting that harsh of a chemical into my vegetable garden. I'm not 100% organic but at the same time burdock is pretty tough so I know if I use a pesticide on it, it will have to be strong enough to kill it. So please advise.

Dakota County Minnesota

Hi,

Burdock is tough to eradicate. If you are not opposed to herbicides, you could apply one with glyphosate (Roundup) to the area (being particularly careful since Roundup kills all vegetation it contacts). You could then cover the area with black plastic to discourage additional seed germination. When you are ready to plant, you can cut through the plastic. You should be able to safely plant a week after the application of the herbicide.

Here is some additional information regarding eradicating burdock: http://extension.psu.edu/pests/weeds/weed-id/common-burdock