Pecanquest1

Green leaves with the twigs are falling from my pecan trees, are they dying?
I watered them late yesterday when I noticed this. (About 10 gals. each).

Jefferson County Alabama pecan horticulture

Hi,

You may have pecan twig girdler cutting twigs. That's my first thought. The ends of the twigs may appear like they've been sharpened slightly into a somewhat pointed shape in a pencil sharpener.

We may be able to help you determine the problem if you're able to bring or mail a sample to the Plant Diagnostic Lab, located with the Extension Office at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens.

I'd recommend you call or email Dr. Jim Jacobi, Extension Plant Pathologist at the lab, and he can instruct you about how to take a good sample.

Phone: (205)879-6964 ext. 19
E-mail: jacobjc@auburn.edu

Location & Directions:

Address: 2612 Lane Park Rd., Birmingham, AL 35223-1802

Directions: Take 280W to Mountain Brook. Exit at the Zoo Exit. Turn left at the first traffic light onto Cahaba Road. Turn immediately right onto Lane Park Road. Look for the sign for the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. The lab is located on the second floor of the main building at the gardens.

Staff

James Jacobi – Plant Pathologist/Lab Supervisor
Phone: (205) 879-6964 ext. 19

Website:

http://www.aces.edu/counties/Jefferson/plantlab/

I'm sure Jim will be very helpful.