How do I get rid of mushrooms in my lawn permanently?

I have a mushroom issue on one side of my backyard lawn. They are sprouting constantly. Is there anything I can do besides pick them to get rid of them? I'm hoping to permanently get rid of them. Also, if I don't pick them, can they spread to the other side of my lawn (across the sidewalk)? It is really a chore to pick them every day.

Hennepin County Minnesota

Be assured that your mushrooms won't spread if you don't pick them. The mushrooms you see are the fruiting bodies of a large underground mass associated with some decaying vegetation, possibly roots of a long-since removed tree. Removing or not removing the mushrooms won't alter that underground source. If you want to remove them, we recommend picking them or raking them. They tend to sprout in cool, wet weather, and they may disappear as our days grow warmer.

Read here about mushrooms: