Can you give me a few suggestions of evergreen type trees I can plant along a...
Can you give me a few suggestions of evergreen type trees I can plant along a 62' fence line to create a wall of coverage that does well in nearly 100% shade. I am looking for tall and skinny, 6-10'' tall and no more than 3-4' wide.
Carver County Minnesota
Thank you for the question. Given the parameters full shade and columnar dimensions, I found a few options that might work for you. The dimensions aren't exact but plants perform differently in different situations so take these growth patterns as guidelines.
1. Dwarf Bright Gold Yew-Light shade and about 4 feet high by 6 feet wide.
2. Taunton Yew- Shade and about 3 feet high by 6 feet wide.
3. Holmstrup Arborvitae-Light shade and about 8 feet high and 3 feet wide.
4. Aurea Compacta Hemlock-Shade and about 6 feet high and 6 feet wide.
5. Japanese spreading yew-Shade and about 5 feet high and 6 feet wide.
Read more about choosing landscape evergreens in this University of Minnesota Publication http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/choosing-landscape-evergreens/
If you check out this link, you will find other shade shrub options in case the ones mentioned don't appeal to you http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/landscaping/best-plants-for-tough-sites/
Thank you for contacting Extension.