Wireworm

While preparing my 2x4 foot planter boxes for spring, I found and identified 3 wireworms buried in the soil mix. The boxes are 10 inches deep, but the soil depth is only about 7 inches at this time. Because of health issues, I did not use the boxes at all last year. Should I dump the soil and start over, or is there a way to save the mix? It is made from several kinds of bagged compost with perlite, peat moss, and a commercial potting mix. The first year I had flea beetles (a first for me). Now this is the fourth year, and another first, these wireworms. Is there a poison I can use before I plant?

Nueces County Texas texas compost wireworm soil and fertility issues

Weed control, sanitation, hand removal are recommended control measures for home gardeners. In a small planter box hand tilling the soil and hand removal would probably be most practical.

With the exception of formulations containing chlorpyrifos or diazinon, most insecticides for wireworm control are made for agricultural purposes and are not meant to be used in home gardens.