Peach pits

Asked April 28, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT

Can a dog have medical problems if they have eaten peaches from our tree including the pits? I have two dogs and they both went blind about the same time at 8 yrs old, unusual and my dwarf peach tree has died too. I knew they were eating the peaches but did not know that the pits could be harmful. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kern County California trees and shrubs fruits and vegetables companion animals horticulture

2 Responses

The danger for dogs eating peaches is twofold. The first is that the pits could cause bowel obstructions or choking. The second is that peach pits contain cyanide. Cyanide poison symptoms develop anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours following ingestion. The symptoms include excitement and increased respiration followed by gasping and increased heart rate. Excessive salivation, tearing eyes, vomiting, involuntary voiding of feces and urine, spasms, staggering, and collapse into coma occur quickly, shortly before death. Cyanide poisoning has been linked to blindness in a few cases.

Thank you for the quick answer to my question. It's appreciated.