I'm looking fro a tree or shrub to plant on a boundary line between my home...
I'm looking fro a tree or shrub to plant on a boundary line between my home and my neighbor's. It gets some sun, but not a ton. Both our decks are above grade, and we're looking for a little privacy without building a fence. Something that flowers would be great if it would work there. Thanks, Jen
Carver County Minnesota
Thank you for contacting Extension AaE! Selecting a suitable tree or shrub for a privacy screen in your landscape design is a great option to consider.
Could you provide a little more information so we can be sure to offer you the best options? - (if possible, a picture or two would be a great help):
1. What is the distance from the boundary line to your house and also to the end of your deck?
2. What is the distance from the boundary line to your neighbor's house and deck.
3. the height of both decks?
4. The direction you are looking where you would like the privacy screen to be (east, west, etc)?
5. Does the area get mainly morning or afternoon sun, and approximately how many hours?
In the meantime here are some basic guidance and best practices for selecting landscape trees.
Here too is some more specific guidance on using plants to create outdoor walls, rooms and screens with trees and shrubs: