overdam reed grass

Asked April 24, 2015, 1:09 AM EDT

Recently my dog ate some reed grass and became very sick. Is there any evidence that reed grass if consumed is toxic?

Nevada County California trees and shrubs lawns and turf companion animals horticulture

5 Responses

Most of the time when a dog eats grass they have an upset stomach and they eat it to induce vomiting. I would guess that is your case. What kind of sickness? I would suggest that you contact your local veterinarian. Hope this helps, Jackie

Thanks Jackie, but that response does not answer my question, is reed grass toxic if consumed. I know about your answer. Thanks for your effort.
Gene

Here is a list of poisonous plants that I found online. You do not state what kind of reed grass it is. Again I would suggest you contact your local veterinarian. Jackie

http://www.earthclinic.com/pets/poisonous_plants.html

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/range/toxicplants_horses/Toxic%20Plant%20Database.html


Thanks Jackie, the variety of grass is "Overdam Reed Grass". I have not been able to find anything toxic with this grass. Am thinking now that the sharp tiny spines on the underside of the leaf is the problem by irritating the stomach lining.
Gene

Glad I was able to help. Thank you for using eXtension. Jackie