I have a honey locust sapling that has the lower bark chewed off all the way...

I have a honey locust sapling that has the lower bark chewed off all the way around by squirrels. Pretty sure it's a goner. Any chance that it would grow from the root if I cut it a couple inches above the ground?

Hennepin County Minnesota

Thank you for the question. If the trunk is fully girdled down into the cambium which is the soft moist area under the bark, the tree will probably die because nutrients and water can't flow from the roots to the branches.

If your sapling is only a year or two old there is a good chance that it will resprout from the energy in the roots and you can train these into a new tree. It may even resprout well if older than this.

Please read more here on how to protect your trees and shrubs from winter injury http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/protecting-from-winter-damage/

Thank you for contacting Extension.