Roundup in Vegetable Garden

I have several questions. Here's my current scenario: I have a row of asparagus in the garden and it is currently producing. *Is is safe to use Roundup to kill weeds in a vegetable garden? I do not want to use Roundup in that row. I am getting ready to prepare the rest of the garden for tilling and planting. *Can I use Roundup on weeds over the rest of the garden without it affecting or traveling to the asparagus? I don't want to ruin my asparagus crop. *How long does Roundup stay in the soil? Is there one type of Roundup that is better for garden usage over another? * Are there effective alternatives to Roundup that I should consider. I'd prefer not to use Roundup at all but since my husband helps me prepare the garden, he's very pro-Roundup. Thank you.

Cecil County Maryland vegetables roundup

We do not recommend using RoundUp in a vegetable garden, especially when there is asparagus. Glyphosate does not stay in the soil, but affects anything green that it touches. There may be other ingredients in the RoundUp that may have an impact. Pull weeds and mulch. Completely read the label of any product that you are considering using. vw