high chloride in water well

Asked April 22, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT

we had our water tested and the report said chloride was higher than 5000 mg/L will this kill my livestock

McCulloch County Texas

1 Response

High chloride levels may be more of a problem of getting the animals to drink the water. If the water is not pleasant to the animals, they may not drink enough to maintain body functions. The literature I reviewed says that the actual toxicity depends on the metal ion that is present as the other half of the chloride salt. Calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium salts of chloride are all common and have different levels of toxicity. High levels of chloride will make the water corrosive to metal plumbing. That plumbing may contain metals that are very toxic if leached in to the water by the corrosion from the chloride, metals like copper, iron, zinc and lead.

I would suggest you contact the Texas A&M University Vet School for more information.

Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
Texas A&M University
4475 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4475
Phone: (979) 845-9127
Fax: (979) 847-8863