Peach tree

I planted a peach tree in spring of 2014. It is starting to get leaves on the branches. Do I need another peach tree for this one to produce fruit? I've never had any kind of fruit trees, I'm kind of in the dark about their care.

Belmont County Ohio trees and shrubs fruit trees horticulture

Peach trees are self-pollinating, unlike some other fruits such as apples. So you're fine with your one tree.

The fact that your tree is beginning to produce leaves is a good sign that it survived our tough winter. But peaches take 3-4 years to produce their first crop, so don't be surprised or disappointed that you won't be able to make fresh- from-the-tree peach cobbler this summer.

Also, Extension Agents across the state have observed a great deal of flower bud kill because of the extremely low winter temps. So it is entirely possible that you will not get many flowers either.

You may find this Fact Sheet on peaches helpful, as it covers all aspects of their care. Please come back to us if you have more questions. Good luck.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1406.html