what do I need to do about excessive moss growing in the garden

Ramsey County Minnesota

While some folks strive hard to get moss to grow in shady, rocky places, when it shows up in our gardens it is often not appreciated. Moss will only grow in certain soil, water and shade conditions and is an indicator of poor soil nutrition.

You may want to have a soil test done before you try to eradicate this plant.
http://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/

Moss is easy to scrape off of the soil. But if the area is shady and moist it will return. If the pH of the soil, is acidic, or the nutrients are nitrogen poor - these are good conditions for moss. You need to correct the drainage, shade conditions and soil fertility to discourage the moss from returning.

At the same time, moss is not a "bad" plant. It will not harm your other plantings, and if they are doing well you don't need to do anything.

You can choose to mulch the area if you don't like the look of moss, but mulches should be replenished annually.

I hope this is helpful. Please contact AaE again if you have further questions.