woodpecker damage to dogwood bark

I have planted a number of healthy dogwood trees in recent years. But now two of them demonstrate major damage due (I assume) to woodpeckers cutting into the bark about five feet off the ground. They cut all around the tree trunk (diameter abut 2 inches), leaving dozens of small holes and channels (about 1/8 inch across). Whether they left enough bark for these trees to survive I don't know. I called Southern States. They have a systemic called Annual Tree and Shrub Insect Control (a Bonide product). Is this what you would recommend? I have dogwoods, oaks, maples, redbuds, sweet gum, tulip poplars, cedars and hollies. I am wondering if I should treat all of them or only the dogwoods or only the two trees that were hit. Thank you.

Frederick County Maryland trees and shrubs wildlife woodpecker

What you are describing sounds like sapsucker damage. The systemic that was recommended will not help in any way and might hurt your trees by making them more susceptible to mites. The systemic will also be harmful to beneficial insects. Follow the advice at the following website. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/woodpeckers-and-sapsuckers vw