Steaming Smoked sausage

Hi Folks,
Question, can you steam deer sausage that has been smoked, say for 6-10 minutes, in a large 64 qt stock pot, with a steamer basket, and not ruin the flavor? I want to make sure the sausage is cooked to a safe temp, but I want to cold smoke it for flavor purposes. Any help? I plan on doing it next week to see how it turns out. Thanks for your help.

Escambia County Florida food safety food preparation

Hi:

The key is internal cooking temperature measured with a properly calibrated meat thermometer. Below is the recommendation from the University of Minnesota Extension:

1. 160° F.
  2. Bacteria on whole cuts, like steaks or roasts, usually are just on the surfaces so these cuts can be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145° F. All ground venison needs to be cooked to at least 160° F. When you grind meat, you spread any bacteria present throughout the entire batch.
You can find more information in their website at:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/food-safety/preserving/meat-fish/gamey-flavor-and-cooking-venison/

Hope this helps. Thank you for using eXtension.