I have a Meyer Lemon tree that is about 7 years old and around 5 ft high....

I have a Meyer Lemon tree that is about 7 years old and around 5 ft high. During the winter, it has southern exposure and I augment the light with additional indoor lighting. I monitor the moisture and fertilize once a month. During each of the past three winters, around mid-April the tree starts to drop an increasing amount of leaves and many turn yellow before they drop. By the time I take the plant outside in May, it has almost no leaves left. I am at a loss as to what causes the leaves to drop. I am using soft water to for watering inside. Could this reaction be a build-up of salt that begins to stress the plant or do you suspect another problem?

Hennepin County Minnesota

The salt in the softened water probably is affecting your Meyer Lemon tree. A decent article about the issue can be found at gardeningknowhow.com under the subject of Softened Water and Plants. It has recommendations as to what you can do to mitigate the effects. Bringing our favorite trees indoors in the winter is harder than most people anticipate.