I have a dozen blueberry bushes to transplant, they’re about 3 years old, and...

I have a dozen blueberry bushes to transplant, they’re about 3 years old, and haven’t done well in their current location. I’m moving them to a sunnier location. I tested the soil in the new location and it has an acidity of 6.5. I can’t wait until next year to lower the acidity of my soil to 5.0. Can I work the sulfur into my soil and move my blueberries in a couple of weeks?

Mason County West Virginia blueberry soils

Hi There,

Soil acidification from 6.5 to 5.0 can take 6-8 months. If you put too sulfur in the planting hole, all that sulfur might burn the roots and do more harm than good.

Blueberry bushes in the ground should be transplanted when they are dormant. It is late to do that this spring since they may have leafed out.

If you really like blueberries, you might be better off getting new plants in 1 gallon containers. They are typically 2 year old plants. I like Bluecrop and Blueray. Jersey is an old variety and is quite vigorous. Blueberry plants do need full sun.

Please check with the extension agent/educator for additional information. Good luck to you!