Transplanting raspberries

I would like to transplant raspberry plants from my dads garden to my home. I have an area that currently has ferns and bee balm plants. Once I clear them out, how should I prepare the soil? Can I transplant established plants or should I wait for runners ? I am in Ramsey county MN Thank you. Ramona

Ramsey County Minnesota raspberries bare root raspberry raspberry production raspberry transplanting raspberry propagation

Keep in mind that raspberries will want a lot of sun to do best.

They need a deep well drained soil with a pH of 5.6 to 6.5. When you transplant raspberries do not plant them below the existing soil line, planted too deep and they will have problems with growth. Do not amend the soil with bagged soil, manures or fertilizers. Just plant them in your existing soil. Make sure the raspberries are disease free so you don’t bring a problem to your yard. Space the plants 18 to 24 inches apart and 3 to 4 feet apart on the rows, for best air circulation to avoid fungus and insect problems.