Fully Brown and Spotted Brown Holly Leaves

Asked April 10, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT

Hello, This is an American Holly tree at the northeast back corner of my neighbor's house. They asked me what was wrong with it and I told them I knew how to find out. Before this past winter, the tree looked normal and it did fruit. Now it is covered top to bottom with a mixture of 75% fully brown or spotted brown leaves, the other 25% look healthy. Attached are 3 photographs; one showing the full tree, another a close up of the branches, and the last a branch with extra leaves on a white backdrop. Could this be Winter Scorch? If not can you tell what the problem is? Thank you, John Day

Frederick County Maryland

1 Response

We are glad you came to us for help.
Your instincts are good. This does look like winter burn on this holly. Here is more information about it that you can pass on to your neighbor, including strategies they can try to lessen the damage going into the winter season next year:
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/winter-damage-trees-and-shrubs
If the tree is healthy otherwise, it should push out fresh new leaves this growing season.
cm