Phosphorescence

I saw two separate spots in my yard at night emitting a steady glow. They are about 35 feet apart. Do you know what it could be?

Boyd County Kentucky lawns and turf boyd county kentucky phospherescence

We are currently researching this issue, without much luck so far. We will continue trying to find you an answer. Would it be possible for you to call the Boyd County Extension Office at 606-739-5184? We have a few questions we would like to ask to help us in trying to solve this mystery. Just ask for Lyndall or Cheyenne.

Lyndall

A friend from West Virginia told me it is likely "foxfire".

It could have been foxfire which is a phosphorus display that is totally natural. However, it seems odd that it was just there suddenly and for a short period of time. Another possibility that we came up with is that it could have been fungus or mushroom related. There are certain fungi that have a chemical makeup that allows them to glow as you described. I think that either of these are logical explanations of what you saw. Hope that this helps some.