removing cedar trees

I have 15 acres with 1000’s of cedar trees mostly 4” to 8” diameter. Some smaller, some huge. There are also huge oak and elm trees mixed in. I want to remove the cedar without harming the hardwoods and I don’t want them to grow back. Will a bulldozer damage the hardwood roots? What about shredding them with a forestry cutter? A few smaller oaks would be shredded. Would that cause the fungus that is so prevalent in our area to take hold. Or, should I use a chain to pull them out by the roots? Are the cedar worth harvesting? What is the best and most cost effective way to remove them without damaging the hardwoods? Thank you!!!

Johnson County Texas

To start out there is no herbicide on the market that will control juniper trees without killing oaks as well, so that eliminates any type of herbicide control.

Another problem is there are two types of junipers, Redberry and Ashe(blueberry) juniper in Johnson County. The Ashe Juniper can be controlled by removing the top of the tree by lopers or shears on the front of a skid steer. The Redberry it is a re-sprouter making it necessary to remove the bud zone which is below the surface this can be done by grubbing them out. I would recommend getting a skid steer with a grubber on it and grub them all up and that way you do not have to worry about if they are a Redberry or Ashe. I would avoid the areas directly under the live oaks as a precaution and proceed on taking out the juniper trees.

I hope this helps,

Zach,
Thank you for the prompt answer. The problem is that they are nearly all located within the drip zone of the hardwood trees. No live oaks but post oak, red oak, elm etc. I believe these must be blueberry juniper but I will take a closer look tomorrow. Any ideas on how to get rid of the cedar without losing the hardwoods? Thank you.

If they are indeed Ashe Juniper (blueberry), they can be controlled by removing the top of the tree by lopers or shears on the front of a skid steer. This could also be done with a chainsaw or other form of cutting device. Just be careful not to damage any roots of the desirable trees.

These have blue berries on them. (pic attached) Can you confirm that these are Ashe Juniper? I’m trying to figure out how to end up with no stumps above the ground. What do you think about using a forestry cutter on tracks and cutting a couple inches into the soil only where the stumps are? Do you think that would harm the hardwoods? Or, they seem not to have a huge root system. What about pulling them out by the roots? Would that harm the hardwoods? Thank you.

I would agree that those are Ashe Juniper. Either option should work.