Deer vomit Fungus

Asked April 3, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT

My grape vine has this orange fungus growing on it. I was told it is called Deer Vomit. Is it harmful to the grape vine? How can I get rid of it?

Darlington County South Carolina grapes viticulture

1 Response

The orange goo is a combination of fungi and yeast that happened to land on excessively bleeding sap. Because the sap is such a nutritious source for these organisms and the temperature is mild they flourished producing the orange goo. No need to worry though because they do not cause or transfer any disease to grapevines. It may look unsightly, but it is harmless to the vine. During the growing season they will eventually dry up. If it is really bothersome you can rinse it off with water.