How many INCHES of water should I give during winter watering?

CSU gave out handy blue water gauges/cups which are marked in inches and centimeters. However, the guidelines are in gallons. I have in my head 1/2" of water for the week in the summer for perennials and xeric shrubs. I leave a sprinkler on for an hour on the grass. How much water should be in my gauge when I have watered my perennial beds, pines, and xeric shrubs enough?
Thank you!
Xandy

El Paso County Colorado lawns and turf irrigation and water management horticulture

Another way of looking at watering and water amount is this:
an acre-inch of water (one inch of water spread over an acre; 43,560 square feet) is about 27,100 gallons.

over 1000 square feet, 623 gallons

over 10 square feet, 62 gallons equals 1 inch of water.

A standard tree watering recommendation is 10 gallons per inch diameter. So, a 2-inch tree would need 20 gallons of water applied within its dripline. Because dripline area differs with each tree, it is easier to give a recommendation in gallons (use a hose-end meter that measures water flow in in gallons). The inches of depth is more useful for watering lawns.

Hope this helps answer your questions. If not, let me know.

Thanks,
Tony